Crashes on startup

Crashes on startup

What is Offline Wiki? Forums Bugs Crashes on startup

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Offline Wiki Team 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matthew Brown
    Participant

Specs:
    – Model: Razer Blade 14 (2014)
    – CPU: Intel 4702hq (quad-core, 2.2GHz)
    – GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
    – RAM: 8GB DDR4
    – Drive: SSD
    – OS: Win10 v1607 (build 14393.1358)

When I try to open the app, it flashes open for a moment then closes just as quickly. I have completely deleted Microsoft Edge – might that by why?

This app looks like the wiki app I’ve wanted for years but haven’t been able to find, judging by the screenshots on its store page, anyway.

Dear Matthew

I am sorry that the app is not starting on your device.
    As the app is using Edge technology to display the site, depending on your approach to remove Edge, it might very well be the reason for the crash.

Can you give us any insight in the way you have removed Edge? So we can test this?

Best regards

The Offline Wiki Team

Matthew Brown
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I moved the entire C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder onto a USB drive. I would test it myself by replacing it, but I am away from home and don’t have access to the drive. I am confident that is the cause, though. A couple other similar apps are crashing the same way, and the same thing happens when I click on the Edge icon in my Start menu (which, ironically, I couldn’t find a way to remove even after deleting the entire Systemapps folder).

Dear Matthew

A test on my Surface Pro 4 did not show your symptops. Means that disabling/removing Edge should not be the reason for the crash you are experiencing.

Could you uninstall and then reinstall the app?
    Then, while running the very first time after installing, what exactly is beeing shown?
    Just very quickly the logo? Or is there some text beneath the logo?

I am currently on Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16232 on all of my devices but will install 14393 on a virtual PC later this afternoon to test.

Which language of W10 have you installed? And: Which keyboard language are you using?
    And: X86 or X64?

Thanks

The Offline Wiki Team

Matthew Brown
    Participant

Just the logo. I didn’t notice any text.

My default W10 and keyboard languages are ENG and EN-US respectively. I also have the FRA W10 language and FR-CA keyboard language installed, but I don’t use them very often and haven’t since before I downloaded Offline Wiki for the first time. My architecture is X64.

Hi Matthew

Thank you for the info.
    Just ran the app on a clean 14393-Installation with your settings without a crash.
    We are still trying to find out which setting could be the reason for it. So far we have thousands of installations without any problems.

Please allow us some few days as this might take some time.

Did you change anything else than disable Edge which might be a bit “non-standard”?

Thanks

The Offline Wiki Team

Matthew Brown
    Participant

Sorry for the late response. At one point I used PowerShell to remove most of the default apps from my PC – apps like XBox and Maps that I never used but couldn’t uninstall manually, though I reinstalled them all. I can’t think of anything else. Are there any kinds of logs or records that would be helpful?

Hi

We are currently investigating it. We might publish a version with logs on monday after the weekend.

Thanks a lot for your patience

The Offline Wiki Team

Hi

Unfortunately there is a Certification Delay on Microsoft’s side. Usually new builds get approved within 2 hours, but from time to time they are testing a new build manually and this takes 3-5 days.

Thanks

The Offline Wiki Team

Matthew Brown
    Participant

Great news! I tried this morning and Offline Wiki is working perfectly now, along with the other couple of apps that were experiencing a similar bug. I had installed some, but not all, of the flurry of updates I received this week:

2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4025339) – Requires a restart to finish installing
    2017-07 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4025376) – Installed 07/11/17
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition – July 2017 (KB890830) – Installed 07/11/17

It seems that the pre-restart portion of the July Cumulative Update replaced whatever I accidentally deleted or corrupted.

Thank you for the prompt responses and excellent support – I will be sure to leave a 5 star review in the Store!

Matthew Brown
    Participant

After some further tweaking, I have determined that the problem was related to Avast Free Antivirus’ File Shield feature. The reason that Offline Wiki and the other apps worked after the W10 update was because Avast was also in the process of updating itself and was turned off.

My solution to the problem was simply to whitelist the four Offline Wiki folders in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps.

Dear Matthew

That is great news! We will test Avast and see what exactly is preventing the app from startup and try to fix this. Really curious what it is.

Thanks a lot for changing your rating too!

Best regards

The Offline Wiki Team

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.